Student’s Name: Yun Kyo
Teacher’s Name: Cristina
Book's name: Side by Side 1
Pages: 27-55 (the pages that the student studied from January 10-31)
Levels of Proficiency
• Beginning – The student at this level struggles with his/her understanding; prerequisite and fundamental knowledge and or skills have not been acquired or developed adequately to aid understanding.
• Developing – The student at this level possesses the minimum knowledge and skills and core understandings, but needs help throughout the performance of authentic tasks.
• Approaching Proficiency – The student at this level has developed the fundamental knowledge and skills and core understandings and with little guidance from the teacher and/or with some assistance from peers, can transfer these understandings through authentic performance tasks.
• Proficient – The student at this level has developed the fundamental knowledge and skills and core understandings, and can transfer them independently through authentic performance tasks.
• Advanced – The student at this level exceeds the core requirements in terms of knowledge, skills and understandings, and can transfer them automatically and flexibly through authentic performance tasks.
Yunnie has been an enthusiastic member of the class and she worked extremely hard during lessons. She’s a lively participant in activities and very cooperative. She also makes a satisfactory effort but still needs to improve her language skills. Hopefully, she remains optimistic in learning English language.
Yunnie’s reading skill can be considered as Approaching Proficiency. This is because the student makes effort to learn new English words and has good reading habit but there are still some words and phrases which are unfamiliar to the student. The student has a tendency to stop or mumble whenever she doesn’t know how to read a particular word. The teacher guides her by saying the word correctly and let her repeat it twice or thrice. Nonetheless, she's a fast learner!
Yunnie’s comprehension skill can be considered as Approaching Proficiency. This is because she can understand the lesson but still needs guidance in comprehending and answering the questions and exercises about the lessons. You have to repeat certain sentences, instructions or questions before she could understand or answer them.
SPEAKING AND PRONUNCIATION:
Yunnie’s speaking and pronunciation skills can be considered as Approaching Proficiency. This is because the student expresses herself adequately when speaking and she has improved steadily since the beginning of the class. Despite that, she must start to minimize errors in her speaking and she needs to increase her understanding of grammatical rules and constructions. A little more study of pronunciation would also be worthwhile.
Student’s acquisition of oral, reading and written skills are satisfactory. Hence, she needs to spend more time learning and understanding new vocabulary. Her teacher is encouraging her to practice reading any English books, by watching English movies and listening to English songs, she will surely improve her reading, understanding, and listening skills.
Her teacher will still be introducing more free talking topics, short stories that are related to the lesson during class and common idiomatic expressions to enhance the student’s speaking skill and vocabulary.