Student’s Name: Bo Min
Teacher’s Name: Cristina
Book's name: Teen Talk 1
Pages: 80-96 (the pages that the student studied from January 10-31)
Levels of Proficiency
• Beginning – The student at this level struggles with his/her understanding; prerequisite and fundamental knowledge and or skills have not been acquired or developed adequately to aid understanding.
• Developing – The student at this level possesses the minimum knowledge and skills and core understandings, but needs help throughout the performance of authentic tasks.
• Approaching Proficiency – The student at this level has developed the fundamental knowledge and skills and core understandings and with little guidance from the teacher and/or with some assistance from peers, can transfer these understandings through authentic performance tasks.
• Proficient – The student at this level has developed the fundamental knowledge and skills and core understandings, and can transfer them independently through authentic performance tasks.
• Advanced – The student at this level exceeds the core requirements in terms of knowledge, skills and understandings, and can transfer them automatically and flexibly through authentic performance tasks.
Bo Min is a witty young lady. She's fun to talk to. I don't have much struggle teaching her because she can easily cope up with the lessons. She also participates and cooperates during class. Her teacher also doesn’t need to correct the student that much. However, there are times that she likes to have a free talking topic rather than focusing on the book.
Bo Min’s reading skill can be considered as Above Approaching Proficiency. This is because she's a good reader. She reads in a proper or appropriate speed and with proper tone, intonation and pronunciation of words. Although there are still some mispronounced words which are unfamiliar to the student. She actually asks her teacher about it.
Bo Min’s comprehension skill can be considered as Above Approaching Proficiency. This is because she can quickly understand the lesson without much guidance. The teacher doesn’t need to repeat the same instruction and questions twice whenever they’re having lessons. She can easily answer questions and activities about the lesson.
SPEAKING AND PRONUNCIATION:
Bo Min’s speaking and pronunciation skills can be considered as Proficient. This is because she can express her thoughts using the English language without much difficulty. She actually sounds natural in speaking the language. She pronounces words clearly and in proper tone. What amazes me about her is she has an outstanding vocabulary for her level of English and she is adding new words to it every day.
Her teacher will start the class with free talking because she likes it more than focusing on the book. She loves exchanging thoughts with her teacher. She also likes hearing stories from her teacher.
Her teacher will still be introducing more conversational English and idiomatic expressions during class to enhance the student’s speaking skill.