Student’s Name: Olivia
Teacher’s Name: Cristina
Book's name: My Best Reading 1 and Workbook
Pages: 6-23(the pages that the student studied from January 10-31)
Workbook Pages: 4-9
Levels of Proficiency
• Beginning – The student at this level struggles with his/her understanding; prerequisite and fundamental knowledge and or skills have not been acquired or developed adequately to aid understanding.
• Developing – The student at this level possesses the minimum knowledge and skills and core understandings, but needs help throughout the performance of authentic tasks.
• Approaching Proficiency – The student at this level has developed the fundamental knowledge and skills and core understandings and with little guidance from the teacher and/or with some assistance from peers, can transfer these understandings through authentic performance tasks.
• Proficient – The student at this level has developed the fundamental knowledge and skills and core understandings, and can transfer them independently through authentic performance tasks.
• Advanced – The student at this level exceeds the core requirements in terms of knowledge, skills and understandings, and can transfer them automatically and flexibly through authentic performance tasks.
Olivia is a soft spoken student. She is not really talking too much but if you encourage her, she will participate. She will answer in a short sentence most of the time. I think she's just a bit shy.
Olivia’s reading skill can be considered as Developing. This is because she reads a bit slower than the normal speed. There are also some mispronounced words which are unfamiliar to the student. The student has a tendency to mumble whenever she doesn’t know how to read a particular word. But she is very cooperative when it comes to reading. In conclusion, her reading skill is steadily improving.
Olivia’s comprehension skill can be considered as Developing. This is because she can grasp the main idea of the lesson with further explanation needed. Her teacher also need to repeat the same instruction and questions twice whenever they’re having lessons. She still needs guidance from his teacher when she is answering the activities from the workbook that she has. But after that, she can fully able to comprehend the lesson.
SPEAKING AND PRONUNCIATION:
Olivia’s speaking and pronunciation skills can be considered as Developing. This is because she uses simple and short sentences in expressing her ideas and thoughts. Sometimes, she finds spoken communication hard but she is progressing at a good rate. She speaks with a moderate level of accuracy and now needs to work on communicating with greater fluency. She should also pay close attention to pronunciation when learning vocabulary.
The teacher should introduce interesting free talking topics before the start of the lesson to encourage her to speak English language more. Her teacher must encourage her to read more during her free time and try to converse in English every day even at home to enhance her speaking skill.
FUTURE GOALS:Her teacher will still be introducing more interesting conversational English and idiomatic expressions during class to enhance the student’s speaking skill. The teacher should also prepare more interactive ESL worksheets and games to make the lesson lively.