Student’s Name: SoYun
Teacher’s Name: Love
Book's name: Lets go 1 text book and 1 workbook together page 26-58
Levels of Proficiency
• Beginning – The student at this level struggles with his/her understanding; prerequisite and fundamental knowledge and or skills have not been acquired or developed adequately to aid understanding.
• Developing – The student at this level possesses the minimum knowledge and skills and core understandings, but needs help throughout the performance of authentic tasks.
• Approaching Proficiency – The student at this level has developed the fundamental knowledge and skills and core understandings and with little guidance from the teacher and/or with some assistance from peers, can transfer these understandings through authentic performance tasks.
• Proficient – The student at this level has developed the fundamental knowledge and skills and core understandings, and can transfer them independently through authentic performance tasks.
• Advanced – The student at this level exceeds the core requirements in terms of knowledge, skills and understandings, and can transfer them automatically and flexibly through authentic performance tasks.
SoYun’s was very participative in the class. She exhibited willingness to learn and a polite attitude towards the teacher. She followed teacher’s instructions and listened attentively during discussions. She also put effort in communicating to the teacher what she wanted to say. In addition, SoYun showed great enthusiasm towards games and videos as she participated well on those supplementary activities. Overall, SoYun was a pleasant student and I hope she will continue this positive attitude towards learning.
SoYun’s reading capabilities may be considered in the developing level. She was able to read simple and frequently seen words. She was also able to imitate how the teacher reads sentences in read aloud parts of the books. However, SoYun has to practice reading in a faster pace and she also has to be familiarized with more words as to widen her vocabulary as well as learn the proper intonation of those words and sentences.
SoYun’s comprehension skills may be listed in the Developing level as well. She was able to participate in simple conversations with teacher like when she was being asked how her day was and what she had eaten for dinner. However, SoYun necessitated the help of translator or her mom to explain some things to her when the teacher asked a new and unfamiliar question. Thus, it will be very helpful for SoYun to again enrich her vocabulary through introducing more words and examples as well as visual representation of these words for her to completely understand. She may also have her own list of newly learned words and practice using those words into her own sentences. A clear, and careful explanation by the teacher is also recommended when explaining new ideas to SoYun.
SPEAKING AND PRONUNCIATION:
SoYun’s speaking and pronunciation skills may also be classified in the Developing level. The good thing about SoYun’s speaking is that she can easily copy the teacher’s pronunciation of words and sentences with some repetition. She also exerted effort in putting the right intonation in reading sentences. However, the strong accent is still evident when she is reading sentences. That is why it will be very helpful if SoYun will be exposed to more English materials such as videos with subtitle and clear pronunciation of words. This area will be one of the main focus in the coming lessons.
It was so fun to teach and talk to SoYun. She is so easy to get along with, plus she is also very much willing to learn. The areas that SoYun needs to focus on are her comprehension and speaking skills. She is recommended to be more exposed to English videos and enriching activities. She may also practice reading storybooks with pictures for better comprehension of the story. It is also advisable to guide SoYun in reading and ask questions about the parts she have read to check if she understood the lines correctly.