Student’s Name: Si Yeon
Teacher’s Name: Love
Book's name: My Next Reading 1 textbook and workbook pp. 53-61
Levels of Proficiency
• Beginning – The student at this level struggles with his/her understanding; prerequisite and fundamental knowledge and or skills have not been acquired or developed adequately to aid understanding.
• Developing – The student at this level possesses the minimum knowledge and skills and core understandings, but needs help throughout the performance of authentic tasks.
• Approaching Proficiency – The student at this level has developed the fundamental knowledge and skills and core understandings and with little guidance from the teacher and/or with some assistance from peers, can transfer these understandings through authentic performance tasks.
• Proficient – The student at this level has developed the fundamental knowledge and skills and core understandings, and can transfer them independently through authentic performance tasks.
• Advanced – The student at this level exceeds the core requirements in terms of knowledge, skills and understandings, and can transfer them automatically and flexibly through authentic performance tasks.
Si Yeon showed a pleasant learning behavior in the class. She was nice to the teacher. She greeted the teacher warmly with a smile at the start of each and every class. Although she had difficulty understanding and expressing her ideas, Si Yeon still exhibited patience to learn and was completely attentive in the class. However, Si Yeon’s difficulty lies in her self-confidence. She was very shy to express what she wants to say. It also took her a while to answer the teacher’s questions due to lack of knowledge of the right words to use and at the same time, her hesitation to try speaking for the fear of making mistakes. To improve on her skills, Si Yeon must first improve her self-confidence. She must believe in herself and always try. She must always remember that it is okay to make mistakes, because that is the way she can learn new things. Believe in yourself Si Yeon! You are doing great!
Si Yeon’s comprehension skills is classified to be in the Beginning Level. She struggled understanding the teacher’s sentences and the words in the book. She has a very limited vocabulary as observed in her difficulty expressing her thoughts. To help Si Yeon understand what the teacher had been trying to say, she necessitated the use of translator and pictures. It was also helpful for Si Yeon if the speaker will talk in a slower pace. Demonstrating through hand actions, facial expressions and tone of voice was also beneficial for Si Yeon to fully understand the context.
Si Yeon was able to read short and simple words and sentences in the book. However, she read in a very slow pace and it seemed that she read word per word mechanically and was not able to understand what she had read. She also struggled reading unfamiliar terms. Thus, the teacher read the sentences for her to repeat. Repetition and modelling of proper reading of sentences benefitted Si Yeon in finishing pages of the book. Due to these noted observations, Si Yeon’s reading skills still fall under the Beginning level.
SPEAKING AND PRONUNCIATION:
Si Yeon’s speaking and pronunciation skills may also be considered in the Beginning Level. Due to her lack of knowledge of words, Si Yeon relied on the teacher to fully express what she wanted to say. She required follow up questions and more prompts to be able to speak up. The good thing about Si Yeon is that, she willingly repeated the teacher’s statements when she was asked to. She also tried her best to imitate how the teacher pronounced the words. With more practice and consistent good behavior in the class, Si Yeon will surely progress in speaking the language.
Si Yeon is an obedient student. This obedience will help her improve in learning the language. Although she struggled a lot in understanding and speaking, she showed no sign of giving up, and that is what’s important. When it comes to her skills, she should remember that everything can be perfected through constant practice. She has to be exposed to more reading materials. She also has to learn more words. The teacher had been introducing “WORD OFR THE DAY” every start of the class. It will be beneficial if someone from their house will follow through her newly learned words so as she can review those words even when the teacher is not around. She must put these words into a list for her to go back to these words and use them. The teacher also recommends Si Yeon to short story books with illustrations to improve her comprehension skills. I believe in you Si Yeon! You can do it! Fighting! J
The teacher will continue to speak in a slower pace in talking to SI Yeon to ensure her understanding of the statements. More words will also be introduced to her from the book and from our simple conversations. She will also be taught more statements starting with simple greeting and answers to simple questions. Furthermore, the teacher will continue encouraging Si Yeon and build up her confidence through kind words and patience.