Student’s Name: SUN BAEK
Teacher’s Name: Danica
Book's name: Weaving It Together 1
Levels of Proficiency
• Beginning – The student at this level struggles with his/her understanding; prerequisite and fundamental knowledge and or skills have not been acquired or developed adequately to aid understanding.
• Developing – The student at this level possesses the minimum knowledge and skills and core understandings, but needs help throughout the performance of authentic tasks.
• Approaching Proficiency – The student at this level has developed the fundamental knowledge and skills and core understandings and with little guidance from the teacher and/or with some assistance from peers, can transfer these understandings through authentic performance tasks.
• Proficient – The student at this level has developed the fundamental knowledge and skills and core understandings, and can transfer them independently through authentic performance tasks.
• Advanced – The student at this level exceeds the core requirements in terms of knowledge, skills and understandings, and can transfer them automatically and flexibly through authentic performance tasks.
Sun is a punctual and cooperative student. The teacher always have a smooth flow of class whenever he is the student. However, he needs to omit the use of informal words like “yeah”, when being asked questions. He has a pleasant outlook towards learning and he passionately read the passage in the book.
Sun’s reading skill can be considered as Proficient because he can easily read even long passages in a short period of time with minimal lapses. However, he needs to familiarize himself of some difficult or unfamiliar words. The teacher admires his ability in catching up whenever he’s given some corrections in reading.
Sun’s comprehension skill can be considered as Above Approaching Proficiency. This is because he can give related answers after reading the passage. He usually asks for a couple of minutes to formulate an answer for some difficult questions. The teacher believes that with sufficient practice, he can improve his comprehension even more.
SPEAKING AND PRONUNCIATION:
Sun’s speaking and pronunciation skills can be considered as Above Approaching Proficiency. Whenever we have Free Talk Lessons, he’s very much willing to share his thoughts with the teacher. He likes to use various gestures which is helpful in conveying his emotions. Sometimes, his speech has dead air when he couldn’t speak the proper words.
It was so fun to teach and talk to Sun. He is so easy to get along with, plus he is also enthusiastic to learn. She is recommended to be more exposed to English films and interactive activities. She may also practice reading more academic passage for better comprehension of the story.
The teacher plans to introduce more useful English expressions and idiomatic statements during class to enhance the student’s speaking skill. This is to enhance his vocabulary and improve his comprehension skills.