Student’s Name: Yuchan
Teacher’s Name: T. Jannex
Book's name: My Best Reading 4 TB and WB
Pages: TB 50-81 WB 18-27
Levels of Proficiency
· Beginning – The student at this level struggles with his/her understanding; prerequisite and fundamental knowledge and or skills have not been acquired or developed adequately to aid understanding.
· Developing – The student at this level possesses the minimum knowledge and skills and core understandings, but needs help throughout the performance of authentic tasks.
· Approaching Proficiency – The student at this level has developed the fundamental knowledge and skills and core understandings and with little guidance from the teacher and/or with some assistance from peers, can transfer these understandings through authentic performance tasks.
· Proficient – The student at this level has developed the fundamental knowledge and skills and core understandings and can transfer them independently through authentic performance tasks.
· Advanced – The student at this level exceeds the core requirements in terms of knowledge, skills, and understandings, and can transfer them automatically and flexibly through authentic performance tasks.
It has been another year for Yuchan’s English studies, and it’s always a pleasure to teach him. His attitude has shown gradual improvement towards learning English, although it’s understandable because the class is very early in the morning. Nonetheless, Yuchan has shown considerable improvement in his grammar and sentence building skills. I’d like to encourage Yuchan to keep on pushing himself to do his best and continue to grow his confidence. Great job, Yuchan!
READING AND COMPREHENSION:
Yuchan’s reading skill is in Above Approaching Proficiency level. If there is one thing Yuchan can focus on improving his reading skills, it would be his expression when reading aloud. To express a text well, Yuchan must read it with feeling that matches what it means. By doing this, he’d be able to understand both the meaning of the words and the grammar of each sentence. Mastering this skill will help improve his fluency in reading.
SPEAKING AND PRONUNCIATION:
Yuchan’s speaking and pronunciation skills can be considered as Approaching Proficiency level. This month, Yuchan participated actively in speaking exercise. He talked about Christmas and his sister, and during the activity I noticed that he became more confident in speaking and he was able to express himself well. His pronunciation is clear and easy to understand. His volume and intonation when speaking can still be improved. I’d like to encourage reading aloud with expression at home when he has the time.
Yuchan’s grammatical skill is in Approaching Proficiency level. When speaking, Yuchan tends to rush in making his sentences and therefore making grammar mistakes in the process. Although there is no doubt that Yuchan is already good in grammar when writing, it is different when it comes to speaking. To help him improve his sentence construction skills I encourage him to watch English movies and videos to familiarize himself with English expressions and sentences.
It is highly recommended for Yuchan to read more stories with moral lesson or articles in English. He should practice speaking and constructing sentences by telling things that happened in his day and his plans for the next day. Watching English videos and narrations can further improve his listening skills and his word bank.
The future goal that I’ve set for Yuchan this month of December is for him to be able to create complete and sensible sentences after every lesson. At the end of each topic, he will be able to use the words he has learned to help him remember them for future use. I encourage him to engage in conversation in every lesson and use more new vocabulary words and participate in speaking exercises so that he will make steady progress in improving his English communication skills.